Re: richtext <nl> model considered harmful

1992-02-04 00:56:41
Nathaniel writes:

The problem is that people find it quite annoying to see
"<nl>" scattered liberally throughout messages they read.

Personally, I don't understand this. If your richtext encoder is smart
enough, <nl>s appear only at the point where they are really needed.
Furthermore, they can easily be put at the end of a line, and then I
think it is hardly a nuisance at all. Now, the use of <nl><nl> for a
paragraph end might be a nuisance, but this too can be handled by a
smart enough richtext encoder: it should just use <paragraph> and
</paragraph> appropriately.

Anyway, if people find the <nl>s a nuisance, this should be an incentive
to get a decent richtext reader. Such readers are publicly available
and very simple to build if needed for some arcane OS.

What I *did* find a nuisance in your last sample sent to the mailing
list was the uneven line length (some lines were less then 20 characters
when there was no need for this), but this is not a problem with the
specification at all (I assume it was meant for testing).

Personally, I would not change anything, but if needed I would vote for
solution 2 (if I would be asked at all :-) ).

--
Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet:
lwj(_at_)cs(_dot_)kun(_dot_)nl