Re: Showstopper from EUnet for RFC-MIME

1992-03-16 10:10:53
[Quoting Keld J|rn Simonsen, on Mar 14, 11:44, in "Re: Showstopper from ..."]

Just a short comment: I have not been arguing very fiercely for my proposal in
EUnet and NETF, but rather tried to find out what was the positions of the
groups. For example, I have not been the person formulating the political
statements: "EUnet stating RFC-MIME is unacceptable without MNEMONIC
support" nor "NETF wants MNEMONIC as a RFC as soon as possible, but
not show stopper". So these statements should be genuine expressions of
the respective groups.

As EUnet's secretary, I would like to confirm Keld's statement.
It seems that some people are implying that the request for
MNEMONIC is only a one-person pet-peave. This is not true.

The EUnet Backbone Assembly has decided to implement MNEMONIC
support at the Breukelen meeting in July 1989 on all EUnet Backbones
and it is in use in several countries since.

It was again the EUnet Backbone Assembly, that has expressed the
need for mimimal MNEMONIC support during it's February 1992
meeting in Tunesia.

The political statements ("showstopper") were formulated in Tunesia,
after a plenary discussion, by the EUnet executive committee.
These statements were rediscussed during later plenary sessions and
finally accepted by the EUnet Backbone Assembly with full consensus.
Keld is not in the EUnet executive committee, he was not involved in
the formulation of the statements and he was not even present during
the final voting session.

Regards,
-- Ted.