re: Showstopper from EUnet for RFC-MIME

1992-03-10 15:03:21
On Tue, 10 Mar 1992 12:40:16 +0200, Markku Savela wrote:
  Please don't generalize. I find it sligtly offending to be clumped
  into single group with identical carbon copy minds. There are many
  opinions here, at this point I would lean more on full ISO 2022
  scheme, and profiles would only name the registered character
  sets...

  Of course, I represent only myself, not any organization. But, then,
  EuNET is not really all Europe either. As far as I know, NORDUNET
  for example, is rather independent of Eunet (well, I don't know
  NORDUNET's stand on this issue either...)

The impression we are given by the advocates of mnemonic is that `all of
Europe' insists upon mnemonic and that only `US-centric thinking' is keeping
mnemonic out of MIME.  If you don't like these people speaking from you -- and
I readily understand why you don't -- then please speak up.

It is true that we are not always aware of European conditions, and it is
difficult to judge on a different continent whether we are seeing a small
group of noisy people or the concensus of all of Europe.  This is particularly
the case when the purportedly `European' position taken is a totally
unreasonable one.

We have heard second-hand evidence that mnemonic has nowhere near the status
that its advocates claim, yet there are very few first-hand comments.

So, thank you for your note and please share your opinions with us.