Re: Showstopper from EUnet for RFC-MIME

1992-03-08 20:08:45
Perhaps the first paragraph above could be changed a little to say
that the text must be shown to the user in "raw" form (as in the
second paragraph). Would this satisfy you?

Well, that could be a way to do it. But is this
satisfactory for other character sets?

So far, nobody else has complained, so perhaps it's OK.

The interoperability problems are not with mnemonic, but
especially with 8-bit non-mime mail

Exactly. So this means that some people are still using 8-bit non-MIME
mail, and that "mnemonic" is not well established. So please stop
claiming that "mnemonic" is established.

I should add that I still think that "mnemonic" is a good idea.
However, I think that the statements that you send to this list should
be truthful. You should not try to gather support for "mnemonic" by
distorting the truth.

"Iso-2022-jp" was removed from MIME, and there were no public
protests, partly because there are so few Japanese on this list, but
also because the Japanese will continue to use their JUNET encoding
for some time, no matter _what_ MIME says.

On the other hand, it almost seems like you're trying to force
"mnemonic" upon the community by inserting it into MIME. It's like
using a crowbar to open the trunk of a car, the keys to which you
already have in your pocket.

Regards,
Erik