Re: Showstopper from EUnet for RFC-MIME

1992-03-06 06:59:12
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 6-Mar-92 Re: Showstopper from EUnet ..
Keld J|rn Simonsen(_at_)dkuug (2791)

Yes, that is true, but that does not give use mandatory minimal
support for this EUnet standard. That is, conforming MIME applications
may chose to reject standard EUnet mail. We are very much opposed
to this lack of interoperability. Minimal support for MNEMONIC
is simple: just display it as ASCII.

I'm sorry, but this is just a total non-issue.  If you consult Appendix
A of the MIME document, which defines MINIMAL requirements for
MIME-conformance, and look at what it says about text, you will find:

-- For unrecognized subtypes, show or offer to show the user the "raw"
version of the data.

Personally, I would read this as "unrecognized subtypes or character
sets", and would be willing to change that phrase if it made Eunet
happier.  At any rate, if you interpret it that way, it clearly applies
to text/plain in charset mnemonic, and that's the end of the story.  ANY
MIME-conformant implementation will offer to show the user MNEMONIC text
as if it were ASCII.  No problem, right?  -- Nathaniel