Re: Simple Network Paging Protocol

1993-09-01 23:51:19
 Marshall Rose writes:

Ok, I'll ask the obvious question then.  Why can't you do this with SMTP?

We are already doing paging with SMTP in Stockholm, Sweden. The PTT
in sweden have a X.25 pad which you can connect to (if
you are a subscriber to this service) and page.

The problem we have is that the PTT charge a lot for each
paging you do. About $0.5 + $0.01/character for each paging.
So, we don't allow paging to ANY number, just registered ones.

The text in the mail body is converted into the correct
character set, and a mix of the From:-line, Subject:-line
and the body is paged.

        paf