Re: Text/enriched ambiguity

1993-11-01 16:08:00
This discussion seems to have reaffirmed the utility of <param> (or
something like it), but we still haven't resolved the issue of syntax
inside a <param> ... </param> block.  Should a simple text/enriched
process read blindly until the </param>, or should it parse for
text/enriched structures, check for nesting, etc.?  Alas, I think there
are good arguments both ways....

Hmmm ... we can have it both ways I think:

        (a) The contents of the <param> block follow text/enriched
            conventions.  i.e. '<' becomes '<<', commands have the
            usual syntax, etc.
        (b) There are no requirements on balancing commands: the
            block extends until the next </param>.

into the text it is interpreted as a parameter block containing
<param>.

We could make some recommendation that the first element of a
parameter block must be a command which indicates what kind of parameter
block it is, so that implementations that understand parameter
blocks can skip those blocks that aren't for them.

I don't think this would screw up parsers too much: the lexical
analyser still pulls text/enriched tokens out in the normal way,
so it isn't like <comment> or <verbatim> which required special
handling at the lowest lexical levels.  The default handling is
to just toss away tokens until </param> is encountered.

Comments?

Cheers,

Rhys.