Re: Text/enriched ambiguity

1993-11-03 22:35:28
There are very few existing text/enriched parsers, so this isn't a problem,
and since <param> is not used by any generator at the moment as far as I
know, we have a chance fix them all before someone does need <param>.

        But some of us are using a  "simple SGML"  parser for
richtext and will use mostly the same code for enriched.   But ...

If you thinking of feeding text/enriched into older text/richtext parsers,
then that won't work anyway because text/richtext parsers don't understand
the '<<' sequence, so this isn't a problem.

        You're telling me that it's not a  "drop in".   Fine.

There's nothing intrisically wrong with <a b c d> as an idea except that it
is a special case of command parsing that WILL break existing parsers, much
more than <param> usage, as discussed in my previous message, would.

        You just said  "There are very few existing text/enriched parsers",
so why is this a problem?   I understand and appreciate the capability
of auto-balancing but place a greater value on:

                message context --- outside the angle brackets
                operators (commands) --- inside the angle brackets

        Now I'm a newbe to SGML,  well ... I've been watching it for
several years,  but only recently started coding for it,  so I may be
all wet with this goal.   John?   You seem to know it pretty well.

    <param>
also gives the flexibility of having multiple nestings inside a parameter
block if that every becomes necessary.

        Now this is an excellent point with which I can't argue.
For me the question is:  is nested  <param>  a real possibility?
I'm all for maximum open-endedness.

Cheers,

Rhys.

--
Rick Troth <troth(_at_)rice(_dot_)edu>, Rice University, Information Systems