Re: Broken MIME implementation

1994-07-11 06:52:42
The "Lotus Notes Mail Gateway for SMTP" product does indeed have
_seriously_ broken MIME support.  This product doesn't even support
something like "Content-transport-encoding: 7bit"!

I'm motivated to get this product fixed because it's causing big
interoperability problems with our MIME UA UltiMail which our customers
view as UltiMail problems, not Lotus 8-(.  Unfortunately, Lotus steadfastly
claims publically that their Notes SMTP gateway fully supports MIME despite
glaring evidence to the contrary.  None of my calls to our Lotus liasion are
returned without me kicking and screaming.  I'm going to keep pursuing this
through our internal Lotus contacts.  Hopefully, the right person at Lotus
will decide to return my calls and we'll get the gateway fixed.  In the
meantime, treat this gateway warily!

- William Chung.
IBM Research
whchung(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com