Re: ISO 2022 (Was: Re: The Swedish Initiative)

1994-11-18 17:02:46
At 1:24 PM 11/18/94, David Goldsmith wrote:
Please stop attacking Unicode on this list. This list is about 822 and mail

David, I know you didn't cite my own note, but I got some private mail
expressing concern that my claim that we were not trying to standardize
Unicode for the Internet was, perhaps, a criticism of Unicode.

Just to beat this into the ground:  I don't know enough to have an opinion
about Unicode.  My comment was trying to remind folks that the Mime group
spent a very painful year considering character set standardization and
gave up.  And I believe nothing has changed since then.

My own suggestion is that when someone tries to use this list for pursuing
such topics, we should all privately send them a short note saying "that's
off the topic of this list and was considered by a working group several
years ago."  Perhaps if enough of us do it, folks will get the idea?

d/

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg Consulting                          Phone:  +1 408 246 8253
675 Spruce Dr.                                  Fax:    +1 408 249 6205
Sunnyvale, CA  94086               Email:
dcrocker(_at_)mordor(_dot_)stanford(_dot_)edu