Re: ISO 2022 (Was: Re: The Swedish Initiative)

1994-11-19 07:30:57
I don't think MIME text/plain charset subtype is necessary if we all
ISO-2022-JP-2 because ISO-2022-JP-2 itself tells us what character set
are included.

Well, a number of charsets do not have 2022 announcers, including
PC and EBCDIC charsets.

Though the repertoire of PC and EBCDIC is covered by other formal 2022
character sets, see our draft on how to support non-registerd
character sets.

As 2022 cannot do all, and as the charset mechanism can,

See our draft on how to support non-registerd character sets.

and by the
way is MIME standard and implemented widely, then my conclusion is
that we need "charset" labelling.

That's simply false.

But I think that 2022 handling and charset handling could coexist,

Sure.

                                                Masataka Ohta