Re: ISO 2022 (Was: Re: The Swedish Initiative)

1994-11-19 09:27:46
Keld,

At 3:31 AM 11/19/94, Keld J|rn Simonsen wrote:
I do not think the MIME group gave up on that. There is a number
of character set specifications in the MIME main RFCs (1521 and 1522)

What the Mime group did was to standardize a mechanism for characterset
labeling.  It did not standardize any particular character sets.  The
various 8859 flavors are list as legal, but not required.  The same applies
for the follow-on charset values that have been defined and published.  But
the only thing that everyone is required is ASCII.

Given your strong advocacy, at the time, for specific standardization, I'm
a bit surprised you consider definition of charset= and list of 10 values
for it to be 'standardization'.

Well, Dave, you know that the original 822-ext list was set up to
discuss 822 with extended character set support.  Your statements

indeed it was.  for email.  and after more than a year, its response to
that requirement was charset=. What has changed to cause this group to
change the result of its previous work?

above are simply false.  I wish you would stop bashing international
issues - you should be neutral in the roles you hold within the

Keld, please pay closer attention to my statements.  Nothing in them has
'bashed' desires for international support, quite the contrary.  I HAVE
bashed the efforts to pursue the matter in this list a) beyond the scope of
this group,  b) without a detailed spec for consideration, and c) without
substantive new technologies and/or public adoption experience for the
group to base its work on.

d/

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg Consulting                          Phone:  +1 408 246 8253
675 Spruce Dr.                                  Fax:    +1 408 249 6205
Sunnyvale, CA  94086               Email:
dcrocker(_at_)mordor(_dot_)stanford(_dot_)edu