Re: ISO 2022 (Was: Re: The Swedish Initiative)

1994-11-19 05:20:46
Kazuhiko Yamamoto =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOzNLXE9CSScbKEI=?= writes:

I don't think MIME text/plain charset subtype is necessary if we all
ISO-2022-JP-2 because ISO-2022-JP-2 itself tells us what character set
are included.

Well, a number of charsets do not have 2022 announcers, including
PC and EBCDIC charsets. 2022 cannot do all of it. But for the rest,
you are right. The problem is though, that much of the existing
software today cannot handle it properly.

As 2022 cannot do all, and as the charset mechanism can, and by the
way is MIME standard and implemented widely, then my conclusion is
that we need "charset" labelling.

But I think that 2022 handling and charset handling could coexist,
and as Internet email is all about communicating with people
all over the world, we should see to that there are specifications
to make coexsistance possible, including conversion rules. I will
look into incorporating 2022 and MIME charset interoperation in
the work I have done.

Keld