Re: ISO 2022 (Was: Re: The Swedish Initiative)

1994-11-19 04:32:46
Dave Crocker writes:

Just to beat this into the ground:  I don't know enough to have an opinion
about Unicode.  My comment was trying to remind folks that the Mime group
spent a very painful year considering character set standardization and
gave up.  And I believe nothing has changed since then.

I do not think the MIME group gave up on that. There is a number
of character set specifications in the MIME main RFCs (1521 and 1522)
and a number of RFCs concerning character set support has been produced
which relates to the MIME RFCs.

My own suggestion is that when someone tries to use this list for pursuing
such topics, we should all privately send them a short note saying "that's
off the topic of this list and was considered by a working group several
years ago."  Perhaps if enough of us do it, folks will get the idea?

Well, Dave, you know that the original 822-ext list was set up to
discuss 822 with extended character set support.  Your statements
above are simply false.  I wish you would stop bashing international
issues - you should be neutral in the roles you hold within the
IETF.

Keld