Re: How we are planning to embed HTML in messages

1995-05-16 12:54:38
 Ed Levinson <elevinso(_at_)accurate(_dot_)com> writes:
Jacob's example makes it pretty clear that the cid url captures the
relationship between the document and the inline image.  It's not
clear to me what the content-disposition would add since "inline" is
implicit in the cid url.

The "inline" content disposition has more semantics than what is
implicit to the CID URL.

How about a content disposition of "embedded", since the part (when
properly displayed) is embedded within the view of a different part.

Of course, this leads to the question of what to do with an embedded
part if one hasn't yet seen the part it is embedded within.

Perhaps a simpler and better approach would be to have a new
multipart type, say "multipart/embedded", where the first part is a
hypermedia format (e.g. text/html) with references to the other parts.
The display hint is that if the first part can be fully interpreted,
the other parts should be skipped.  It could also be a hint that the
other parts are not particularly useful by themselves (e.g. lots of
little colored ball graphics :-).
-----
Chris Newman                 WWW - http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/cn0h/