Re: best name for followups?

1997-07-10 03:23:14
Bart Schaefer wrote:

The fundamental problem is NOT the behavior of reply-to-all.  The
*really* fundamental problem is that reply-to-all is the wrong
function to be using in the first place.  The only reason that
reply-to-all gets used, aside from the Berkeley Mail historical
baggage of the meanings of `r' and `R' as commands, is because the
simple reply function is unable to produce the correct result.

Huh?

My MUA has two commands, "Reply to author" and "Reply to all".
The former sends to (Reply-To -or- From) and the latter sends to
((Reply-To -or- From) -and- To -and- CC).

I think this is the universally implemented status quo.  I gather
that Bart thinks this is wrong behavior, but this is that this is
what -every- MUA I've ever seen does.

And I really wish, given the vast installed base, the standard
spelled this out.

} I'm talking about convenient _default_ recipient lists. The user is
} of course free to send mail wherever he wants.

I'm talking about convenient default recipient lists, too.  The basic
reply command ought to be where one gets those convenient defaults.
Reply-to-all ought to be the way the user sends mail wherever he wants
(e.g., find all the possible addresses for me, and let me edit some of
them out).

Uh, I think now you're talking about a disjoint set of commands:
"Reply to convenient default recipients" and "Reply to all listed
addresses".  I gather that you think the former list of addresses
would be determined by some as-yet-unstandardized-or-otherwise-
agreed-upon mechanism, and the latter would be something like
(From + Reply-To + To + CC.)

I think that's a monumentally bad idea.

Aside from not being even close to the behavior I'd want to see in an
MUA I was using (thanks, but reply-to-author and reply-to-recipients is
exactly what I like) this would result in a confusing change to every
existing MUA: there would still be two reply commands, but they'd be
totally different ones than before; or worse, there'd be four distinct
reply commands.  Ugh!

For this to work as described, two things are required:  First, the
author has to change From and leave out the Reply-To when he means
"reply to address-list X if you want to just reply to me" and he must
put in Reply-To exactly when he means "reply to address-list Y if you
want to followup."  The fields look like this:

Replies to address-list X to reply to me (case 1):