Re: best name for followups?

1997-07-10 09:43:22
On Jul 10,  3:24am, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
} Subject: Re: best name for followups?
}
} Bart Schaefer wrote:
} >
} > The fundamental problem is NOT the behavior of reply-to-all.  The
} > *really* fundamental problem is that reply-to-all is the wrong
} > function to be using in the first place.
}
} My MUA has two commands, "Reply to author" and "Reply to all".
} The former sends to (Reply-To -or- From) and the latter sends to
} ((Reply-To -or- From) -and- To -and- CC).
}
} I think this is the universally implemented status quo.  I gather
} that Bart thinks this is wrong behavior, but this is that this is
} what -every- MUA I've ever seen does.

No, I don't think this is wrong behavior.  I think this is right.

What I think is wrong, is that reply-to-all is (a) the "most convenient"
reply action in many UAs, and (b) necessary in too many circumstances,
because of those headed for that special circle in hell you mentioned.

} And I really wish, given the vast installed base, the standard
} spelled this out.

I agree with that, too.

} > } I'm talking about convenient _default_ recipient lists. The user is
} > } of course free to send mail wherever he wants.
} >
} > I'm talking about convenient default recipient lists, too.  The basic
} > reply command ought to be where one gets those convenient defaults.
} > Reply-to-all ought to be the way the user sends mail wherever he wants
} > (e.g., find all the possible addresses for me, and let me edit some of
} > them out).
}
} Uh, I think now you're talking about a disjoint set of commands:
} "Reply to convenient default recipients" and "Reply to all listed
} addresses".  I gather that you think the former list of addresses
} would be determined by some as-yet-unstandardized-or-otherwise-
} agreed-upon mechanism, and the latter would be something like
} (From + Reply-To + To + CC.)

In a world without mailing lists munging Reply-To, the former would be
controlled by the originator with a header like