Re: False threads

1999-07-16 14:04:51
El 13 Jul 99, a las 13:33, Dan Wing escribió:

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:52 +0200, Jacob Palme wrote:

Can anything be done about this? Perhaps mailers should
have a command "new message with the same recipients" for
this purpose?
This is kind of an implementation issue, I don't think this would be such
a good idea to put this kind of stuff in a protocol standard (except,
maybe as a note to implementors)

Most people, perhaps my mother excluded, will change the subject
line.  This can be a simple test for a MUA to ask the user if they
want to continue the previous thread.

Has anyone thought about this problem and how
to solve it? Can anything be done in email standards to
solve this problem?

  "An MUA SHOULD NOT generate a Reply-To/References header to a message
   if the sender has modified the subject of the message."

There is a custom of changing the subject within a thread (referencing
the old subject) when a thread departed from the original point (at
least, from the original subject meaning)

As if I had changed the subject of this message to
Subject: thinks that shouldn't be in a standard (was Re: False threads)

What Dan propones would break this... I am more inclined to like what
Jacob says, but if we put it in a standard, only as an implementors note.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Mariano Absatz - El Baby
mailto:baby(_at_)baby(_dot_)com(_dot_)ar