Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-10 20:34:16

At 08:45 PM 2/10/2002 -0600, Pete Resnick wrote:
You have thus far given no demonstration that a registry would in any way increase the number of UAs using bad fields. I have given (IMHO) a cogent argument, based on historical practice, that a registry would *decrease* such occurrences.

Pete,

To repeat, the real debate here is about parental controls on registrations, to protect folks from coordinating on use of mechanisms that do not have approval from experts, versus an approach that simply wants to permit easy registration.

For those feeling the need to be parental, it does not matter whether the danger is real. All that matters is that the fear is.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464