Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-klyne-msghdr-registry-02.txt

2002-02-11 10:44:58

At 12:32 PM 2/11/2002 -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> it means that there is control being imposed, with the claimed basis that
> those imposing the control have superior ability to judge appropriateness.

In fact, I do believe that the judgement of the community is usually
superior to the judgement of individuals.

1. You need to learn a little bit about tradeoffs between individual and group decision making.

2. Extending your logic means that we take away all individuals rights. Unless an action is approved by the majority -- and hence the term "tyranny of the majority" -- then it is to be prohibited.

> The problems WITHOUT the control are theoretical and based on fear without
> serious empirical foundation.

My opinions are based on experience and judgement.  I assume your opinions
are based on your experience and judgement.  Neither of us can cite 'serious
empirical foundation' for our positions.

The detrimental effect of prohibiting easy coordination through open registration is an essentially mathematical fact.

The dangers you cite, by contrast, are NOT based on actual experience, contrary to your claims. Their only substance is fear.

> The IETF's "own protocols" already cite the heck out of work from elsewhere.

Yes they do.  But most protocols don't allow arbitrary extensions from
other parties.

Yes, I've noted this rather peculiar line of concern from you. It seems to suggest that cooperation among consenting hosts is not to be permitted unless it has IETF approval. Hence my term "parental".

p.s. If people don't want their proposals reviewed by the community because
they are afraid that their ideas won't find favor,

If registration requires citation of a specification, then community review is inherent. You are confusing review with approval. You want to require prior community approval. Both the control and its timing are entirely unecessary for this registration mechanism.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464