Re: [Asrg] solution space (was Re: Textual Analysis is not the solution)

2003-03-03 12:06:38
- originator identification/authentication/tracing
  (e.g. if you can reliably tell whether a message is coming from a
  known spammer, or merely someone of unknown reputation, or someone
  you know.  this happens at various levels of granularity -
  you might know the ISP that is originating the mail, or you
  might know what business has that IP address block, or you
  might know the specific MTA, or you might be able to identify
  the sender via some kind of authentication, either in the
  message or out-of-band (say SMTP authentication).)

This is, by far, the most urgent one.

I think it's valuable, and I also think it's the one with the least
practical development so far.  But I don't think any of these will work
in isolation.  For instance, authentication isn't going to work without
some means of establishing trust in the credentials.

I have some ideas about how to do this, but I think it's too early in
the group's lifetime to discuss specifics just yet.