Re: [Asrg] desirable characteristics of source tracking (was: Requirements for source tracking)

2003-03-05 04:43:01
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 06:12:30AM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:

For privacy reasons, I also think it's important that source tracking NOT
disclose the identity of the sender.  It may be sufficient if it contains a
per-message unique tag that can be traced to the sender.  But even that may be
too much. We need to retain the ability for senders to speak
anonymously.

I disagree.

There should be a mechanism that allows to track back a mail
to the identity of the very human behind that email (or taking
responsibility for it). The sender should be free to turn this
mechanism off, the receiver should be free to accept only mails
with the mechanism turned on.

If you maintain a discussion group about masturbation problems
after dancing naked in the wood at midnight, it might be wise to allow
anonymous postings.

In contrast, I can state that I do not wish to receive any e-mail
to my private mail account where I cannot track back the person
who sent it.

Hadmut