Re: [Asrg] desirable characteristics of source tracking (was: Requirements for source tracking)

2003-03-05 06:04:47
let me get this straight - it's not a violation of privacy to insist on
knowing the real identity of someone who sent a message, but it is a
violation of privacy to provide a slight bit of additional information
about an anonymous  or pseudonymous sender?

Yup, you got it. :-)

Privacy in our flavour means that you keep control of what
information is leaking out about you.

well, that seems reasonable.  I mean, if when I sign up for an account my ISP
can say "is it okay if we tell people that you send mail to these things that
might help them decide whether to accept your mail?" and I can opt-in or
opt-out to that service, would there be a problem then?

I guess different cultures have different ideas of privacy...

That's what I trying to explain all the time.

And we have different ideas of anonymity, of identity, and
so on.

I guess I'm not surprised.  but it's good to keep it in mind.

Keith