Re: [Asrg] desirable characteristics of source tracking (was: Requirements for source tracking)

2003-03-05 05:55:02
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 07:32:17AM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:

let me get this straight - it's not a violation of privacy to insist on
knowing the real identity of someone who sent a message, but it is a violation
of privacy to provide a slight bit of additional information about an
anonymous  or pseudonymous sender?

Yup, you got it. :-)

Privacy in our flavour means that you keep control of what
information is leaking out about you.

If I ask you "Who are you?", than it is your choice whether
your answer or not. And if you answer, you're answering yourself.
You can't violate your own privacy (in the legal sense). And it
doesn't violate privacy to not accept a message without a
reliable sender information. And the receiver is not forced to accept
any message, that's up to the receiver to accept only messages from
known senders. Rejecting a message doesn't violate someone else's
privacy.

But if I ask a third party (ISP) "What do you know about that guy",
then this is a violation of that guy's privacy. A third party
is not allowed to reveal e.g. billing informations.

I guess different cultures have different ideas of privacy...

That's what I trying to explain all the time.

And we have different ideas of anonymity, of identity, and
so on.

BTW: Privacy is often translated to the german word "Datenschutz"
and vice versa. This is basically very wrong, but still best common
practice. As you saw, your interpreation of privacy heavily differs
from what we call "Datenschutz". So it is actually not correct if
I speak about german privacy laws. But I don't know any better english
word. Even U.S. politicians confuse this very often if they are
talking about german or european "Datenschutz".

Hadmut