Spam Laws (was Re: [Asrg] Whoops -- list volume is way too high, some principles)

2003-03-06 10:15:07
Hi,

This is also the case in France.

The French Law states that the sender must ask authorization from the recipient prior to commercial sollicitations and provide ways to remove data from the company database in case the customer wants his data to be removed (See http://www.cnil.fr for more informations).

It also states that automated sending robots for any type of sollicitation (email/phone/fax) is forbidden.

Not to say that we don't get lots of email spam or even fax or phone spams in France, on the contrary...

The facts have proven that the laws (be it american, german, french or whatever) were unable to protect mailboxes against spammers. The money spammer earn being vastly superior to what a Legal Judgment may cost them.

I suggest we avoid discussing legal aspects of the spam laws since it will be a waste of time anyway. For people interested in this subject, http://www.spamlaws.com/ would be a good start.

By the way, is there already a FAQ or Howto for this list already ? I have seen nothing in the subscribing mail.

Pierre BRUA
--
          PARALLINE          ///        Parallelism & GNU/Linux
                            ///