Re: privacy is a feature (Re: [Asrg] desirable characteristics of source tracking)

2003-03-05 15:25:56
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 04:33:39PM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:

How so?  Do you mean if I'm walking around a city, and I want to ask
for directions, I'm not allowed to say:

      "Excuse me, how do I get to..."

You're comparing apples and oranges.

- If you ask so, you're visible and not hiding behind a fake name.
- You do not cause the other any costs.
- You're not getting asked 20 times a day.
- Spam doesn't ask "how do I get to".

Imagine you're sitting at home and 20 times a day people
come into your living room asking you to buy penis enlargement
devices. Is this still covered by the right to do anonymous
communication?

      "My name is David Skoll, I can be reached at (613) 555-1212
       by phone, and by the way, how do I get to..."

Actually, if you're providing commercial services or do
advertising, you have to do this in europe. Over here, people
have the freedom and right to now where to complain.

Why do I have to pay time and money to allow others to
stay anonymous?

You don't.  No-one's forcing you to use e-mail.

But if I want to use e-mail, I'm forced to pay?

I have the choice only between paying and not using e-mail
at all? Do you call that freedom?

Hadmut