Re: privacy is a feature (Re: [Asrg] desirable characteristics of source tracking)

2003-03-05 16:11:26
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:51:03PM -1000, Clifton Royston wrote:

  Perhaps the requirements don't work quite as you think?  Or perhaps
they only apply to the .de TLD?

The whois entry is a .de TLD thing, since it is a requirement
by the DeNIC, which is responsible for .de. It applies to domains.

The imprint is a legal requirement and applies to web services.
The jurists are still discussion whether it applies to commercial
web pages only, to pages with any editorial content, or even to
every web page. The law unfortunately uses a word which is a little
bit ambiguous.

We (i.e. Rackland association) are a domain reseller, and we are
required to keep the whois entries up to date and truthful.

  Joker.com is located in Germany and has been a popular registrar for
domains in .com and .org for quite a few years.  There is evidently no
problem with pseudonyms and/or false addresses being used to register
domain names there; or if so, then my officemate is apparently from the
Andromedan galaxy and is named rather differently than I think.

As I said: .com and .org don't belong to DeNIC, so they are not
covered by DeNIC requirements.

The web page www.joker.com actually lacks an impress. If you were
a competitor of them you could ask a lawyer to admonish them and send
them an expensive bill...

However, the whois entry for joker.com shows the owner of that
domain. So if you have any complaint in context of the domain
joker.com you know whom to contact. That's the idea.

Hadmut