Re: [Asrg] filtering at connect time

2003-03-05 08:30:29
People who operate relays may be less culpable than
the original senders of spam, but they are certainly blame worthy

I don't see anything inherently wrong with operating an open relay,
as long as they don't alter messages and they're willing to pay for
the bandwidth they use.

Right.  There's nothing inherently wrong with operating one.  But the
vast majority of cases are where they're inadvertent, and would be
closed if the owner knew about what they're being used for.

perhaps.

Furthermore, there's nothing inherently wrong about blocking email
from them given an informed choice on the part of the recipients.

assuming, of course, that the recipients make the choice, and that they
have the expertise to do so.  neither of which tends to be the case.

Keith

p.s. I know several people who refuse to lock their doors.  They believe
that living in fear, and over-attachment to material things, are both
harmful.  As it happens I do lock my doors.  But I respect their right
to not lock theirs, and I don't think they're causing harm by not doing
so.