Re: [Asrg] filtering at connect time

2003-03-04 11:22:31

David F. Skoll said:
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Justin Mason wrote:

One issue BTW that filter-during-SMTP-transaction systems have to think
about, is that if you teergrube or tempfail on an entire ESMTP connection
basis, this could result in affecting legit mail

We do it on a per-message basis.  We only use tempfail codes; we don't
attempt to tarpit.  Tarpitting can open your machine up to DoS attacks,
because even a tarpitted process consumes some resources on your end.

As a matter of interest, have you collected any stats on the effectiveness
of tempfailing suspected spam?   I hear it's very effective at blocking
spam from spamware which doesn't support requeue-and-retry, but I have
no idea how effective "very" is. ;)

Yes, sometimes legit mail is held up, but thanks to the fine authors
of SpamAssassin :-), that doesn't happen too often.

Cheers! ;)

--j.