Re: [Asrg] filtering at connect time

2003-03-04 12:21:39
David wrote:

I would really like to see other MTA software (qmail, Postfix, Exim)
implement "real-time" filtering during the SMTP conversation.  As far
as I know, Sendmail is the only MTA that does this currently.

Mailshield provides inline "real-time" filtering which can take effect at any RFC821 "step" of the conversation - connect, HELO, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO or DATA. [Mailshield is from Lyris, I made the designer build it that way ;-)]

We've deliberately altered this so almost all of our rejections occur after the DATA so we can get full copies of everything we block. The only exception is relay attempts - we block those at RCPT TO time.

Mailshield isn't a true MTA - it's more of a RFC821 packet filter, "front ending" a "real" MTA. In our case, the back end is sendmail.