Re: [Asrg] Blacklist blackmail

2003-03-28 09:58:53
At 12:05 PM +0200 3/28/03, Esa Laitinen wrote:
On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:43:20AM -0500, Kee Hinckley wrote:
 I think that advertising a RBL, getting people to use it, adding
 innocent ISPs to it, and then charging them to get off is pretty
 close to blackmail.

Sure. And your proof of innocent ISP's getting listed is exactly where?
Notice that proof of listing is not enough. Let us know the IP's
involved so others can decide for themselves if the listing was
justified.

It's very odd that anytime anyone says anything negative about a blacklist they promptly get accused of being loose with the facts. Doesn't seem to happen on any other topic on this list.

The World. 199.172.62.105.  Do you think Barry's been spamming lately?

 > In this case, the RBL is used by another RBL.  Osirusoft. Do you
 suppose that people who subscribe to Osirusoft's RBL are aware that
 they are aiding this kind of thing?

How is Osirusoft's bl using blars (pointers, please)? Sure, the www
lookup on Osirusoft's site queries blars as well, but I fail to see any
information regarding Osirusoft's bl using blars.

I have seen the bounce message. The sender was at The World. The receiver said he was using Osirusoft. Since Osirusoft's web site is down, and I don't know their DNS lookup addresses, I'm afraid you're on your own for the rest.

Of course, if we follow the typical course of these discussions, the IP will no longer be on the blacklist, and you can tell me that I'm wrong and that the message actually didn't bounce for that reason.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.