Re: [Asrg] Blacklist blackmail

2003-03-28 14:32:13
On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 10:55:30AM -0500, Kee Hinckley wrote:

It's very odd that anytime anyone says anything negative about a
blacklist they promptly get accused of being loose with the facts.
Doesn't seem to happen on any other topic on this list.

The World. 199.172.62.105.  Do you think Barry's been spamming lately?

Dunno. There are reports about spam coming from that address space (two
from this year in NANAS). I don't know if they've been too busy (or
unable) to deal with them (or some other, not mentioned in NANAS). The
response from blars bl is 127.1.0.33, which indicates spam sending
domain and hosting spammer web sites. I just wish blars gave more
information about the listing.

Currently that address is not listed in osirusoft as far as I can tell,
but it is listed in blars, so I think the reference to osirusoft is
false.

I ran into a curious snippet of information: apparently Barry isn't too
worried about a few false positives either, see
http://www.internetweek.com/story/INW20021219S0003
QUOTE: "The one thing I won't do is spend a remaining minute of our time
talking about false positives. If we all go down in blazes, I don't care
any more," Shein said.

Anyway, it seems that the listing is a bit extreme to my taste, but then
again I don't have all the facts. But I would like to check into the
mental state of a person that uses blars for blocking, after reading the
listing criteria.

Of course, if we follow the typical course of these discussions, the
IP will no longer be on the blacklist, and you can tell me that I'm
wrong and that the message actually didn't bounce for that reason.

Notice, I didn't claim that you're wrong ;-). But it is quite feasible
that the message that the bounce has has an error (not the first time
this has happened).

--
"I'm really excited by George Bush's latest reason forbombing Iraq: he's
running out of patience. And soam I! For some time now I've been really