RE: [Asrg] Opt-Out Notes: too complicated, ignoring history

2003-03-28 16:07:10
It should be clear what the person if opting out from. We don't have to
define spam, just the solicitations that they are opting out from.

Doesn't that just lead to multiple email lists at the same company?
"We know you opted out of information about our mail product.  But
this is our anti-virus mailing list.  We thought you'd be interested
in that."

Yes, it does.  But if acquaintance spam were the worst problem we had to
deal with, we'd be in pretty good shape.  Companies who do that very often
start getting responses along the line of "opt me out of every list you
have, used to have, or ever will have because I'll never do business with
you slimeballs again."  I've certainly said that to Verisign, multiple
times since they are chronically unable to manage their lists, and I know
I'm far from the only one to do so.

The significant spam problem is UBE from strangers, so it's probably more
productive to focus on that.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",