RE: [Asrg] Opt-Out Notes: too complicated, ignoring history

2003-03-28 18:58:53
Another point that I'm trying to drive home is that
legislation, while it
has its place, is not apt to help in this fight, for
practical reasons.
Again, please don't try to twist this into something it is
not - I'm only
trying to outline how simple legislation is to circumvent,
hence the need
for solutions that do not rely solely on it.

We know. However we would prefer the legislation that
gets passed to be as useful as it can be and do as little
damage as possible. The DMA is lobbying for pro-SPAM
legislation under the guise of rationalizing state
spam laws. I particular proposals that would force
ISPs to accept any mail sent to them.

I doubt any good spam legislation will be passed during
a war but that is not going to stop someone trying to
do the DMA a favor with a rider in committee.

There have already been succefful civil actions against
spam senders. A substantial amount of spam is sent by
outright criminals and anti-spam laws provide a useful
tool for investigators.

        Phill