RE: [Asrg] Opt-Out Notes: too complicated, ignoring history

2003-03-28 21:11:30
I am glad that Russell is working on a list of goals, but what about
requirements for a solution or a set of solutions that best leverage existing
technologies?  I look forward to seeing the list, and agree that it is a very
worthwhile (I think you're understating Brad), however a do good list of goals
will be IMHO a little shy of a clear baseline list of requirements, no?  Also,
I do not think a solution should ever be limited by any countries legal
requirements, and that should in fact be considered during defining the broader
set of goals (that is where the goals are best stated).

However, I think a proposal for a solution MUST meet some baseline to even be
considered and those requirements should be set out to clear the table of the
chaff (those in the possible solution set v. those in the whole universe of
solutions).

my $.02

-e

On Friday, March 28, 2003 1:52 PM, Brad Templeton
[SMTP:brad(_at_)templetons(_dot_)com]
wrote:

Russell Brand is working on building a list of all the proposed goals that
have been discussed here.  Nobody will agree with the complete set but
there should be a core that can be found in it.  This is a worthwhile
project, in that I don't think you can take a real stab at solving
a problem until you have a clear common view of what the problem is and
what would constitute a solutions and what constraints (technical and
philosophical and legal) there are on those solutions.

However, it is fine in this group to bring forward possible solutions, debate
and refine them, and see if they can be made to fit our goals.  That
include things like opt-out systems, policy-declaration banners and so on.

However, it may be the case that in the final light, some of these may be
judged wanting for not adequately meeting some of the goals that have been
expressed, such as facilitating end-user choice, and not depending on
limited jurisdictional laws.  (This is not a USA-only organization, nor a USA
only problem, after all.)