Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg digest, Vol 1 #133 - 14 msgs

2003-03-29 00:05:50
On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:01:44PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote

Have you ever asked them what they think about DUL?
What will they think about validating services or RMX? From my
experience 80% won't even understand what you are talking about.

Clearly the distinction between Dial up lists ceases to have
any utility once everyone is using DSL. Plenty of companies are
legitimately using DSL to support mail servers. DSL has plenty
of capacity for that task - heck not so long ago the whole of CERN
had less bandwidth than my cable provider gives me for my house.

  You're missing the whole point.  It's *NOT* a question of whether the
underlying technology is DSL/Cable/two-cans-connected-with-copper-wire.
The important point is *STATIC* versus *DYNAMIC* IP addresses, and the
accountability issue.  If somebody spams from a static IP address, I can
block the address, and not have to block anybody else.  If the spam
comes from a "cloud" of addresses, and is different every day, I have to
block the entire cloud.  If a business can't get *ONE* static IP address
I really have to question their competence.

What is needed is a way for Hotmail to say 'we support system X,
everything else should be rejected'.

..without losing 90% of their customers when they find out that the
rest of the planet doesn't talk "HMTP" (Hotmail Mail Transfer Protocol).
AOL or MSN *MIGHT* get away with this, because...
  a) they're big enough
  b) unlike Yahoo, they have their own internal content.  I'm sure that
     AOL would *LOVE* to go back to the days of their "walled garden".

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will