Re: [Asrg] Re: Asrg digest, Vol 1 #133 - 14 msgs

2003-03-28 14:05:17
On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 12:45:29PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

We need to get beyond mechansisms that rely on listing
dialup blocks etc. There is simply too much hassle involved
getting blocks listed and unlisted etc. Blacklists are
not a cheap solution, maintaining them properly is very
expensive. What happens when someone is assigned an IP
block that has previously been identified as dialup?
how do they even know the listing exists? Similar problems
are being seen with the listing of IP blocks that were
previously 'unassigned' and hijacked by spamers, now
people are being assigned new IP blocks and finding that
they are blacklisted before they ever send a mail.

I don't dispute the maintenance headaches with such lists.

Complaint volume is not a good guide here, how does someone
know why or even if you are blacklisting them? All they
know is that there is a university with a faulty mail service.

Our rejection messages include a 550 with an embedded URL containing
encrypted information where the user can go to find out why they were
blocked and how they can request an override from our user.  I guess
the fact that we allow our users to override our default blocking is
what allows us to be heavier-handed in the first place.

postmaster(_at_)IPaddress is never guaranteed to work. We move
machines arround all the time. This email could go out
via any one of a number of email servers that are hosted
in completely different IP address blocks.

I had thought this was an RFC requirement.  I could be wrong.

The SMTP client tells the server which address it wants
complaints sent to when it does the initial SMTP HELO
command.

Now I know that is not standardized.  How would I know that's what you meant
by putting an IP address in the HELO?  Most sites ignore the HELO parameter
as it is really only a comment, strictly speaking.
--

Steven F. Siirila                       Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services                       E-mail: sfs(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu