Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-08 08:53:58
At 8:45 -0700 4/8/03, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
If senders could just learn (I believe they can) to revisit the outbox

returning the body is mostly a leftover from days before most users had a gui client and an outbox. does AOL have an outbox? I don't remember.

Yes. Everything does, even my phone, palm pilot, yada yada...
Right, so "leftover from days..." suggests it could be lost without horrible side effects, and a generally better world would ensue (re both spam and privacy)

I think the idea of a bounce that contains the original message body has been the core problem and a vector for spammers... and could be solved by mandating a return-to-sender of full status data less any of the message body.

then the spammers will just put their message in an X-header. (grin, sort of)

but mail clients could be setup to not show headers, not display/load/interpret html/scripts in headers, etc... so sort of, yes, but it seems the overall information capacity available in this exploit would seem to be greatly diminished by just saying that bounces are about delivery status, not about regenerating content.