Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-08 14:03:34
At 10:34 AM -0700 4/8/03, J C Lawrence wrote:
I tend to consider the concern about bounce payloads as a red herring.
I've seen a little (not much) deliberate use of bounces by spammers
(usually forgery of messages that look like bounces but aren't), but
more importantly most non-technical users (and that's the majority of
users) tell me that "bounces are confusing, techno-geeky gobbledegook".

Which is probably why spammers aren't using fake bounces. I have lots of evidence that many users pay absolutely no attention to bounces. They don't know what they are, they don't recognize where they came from, they've been told not to open messages from people they don't know--so they delete them. Fundamentally they aren't going to be useful until the MUA can correctly identify them, prompt the user for a fix, and adjust the address book as well.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.