Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-28 20:40:53
From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

Most people here would probably say that anytime a list moves to a
new host, it most confirm all members.  The EPSC solution seems to be
to provide a separate grade (in the sending headers and/or SMTP
protocol) for both the hoster (e.g. Roving) and for the list
operator.  You decide what score you will let through.  (There is the
interesting question of how to keep a sender from hopping between
email providers.)

Anyway, that's my guess from what I've seen publicly so far.

That matches my guess about what they will say they will be doing.
That guess and recent events involving one of the EPSC members raise
an important question.  If EPSC members could be trusted to do that,
then wouldn't the Habeas mark be equivalent to a highest "performance"
rating?  Why did EPSC member Topica stop using the Habeas mark?

I don't know anyone who knows and can tell me what really happened
between Habeas and Topica, but from the outside the events were:
  - Habeas annouced that Topica had agreed to use the mark.
  - Topica was caught sending unmitigated spam with the mark.
  - Habeas announced that Topica had found and fixed a hard to
     detect technical problem that caused that spam.
  - Topica was caught sending unmitigated spam with the mark.
  - Habeas quietly told NANAE that Topica and Habeas had agreed that
     Topica would stop using the mark.

In other words, I don't know that Barry Shein is right, but I won't
bet against him on this topic.