Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-28 21:46:02
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:34:11AM -0700, Larry Marks wrote

When I send a message via my ISP to someone on another ISP, it is
highly unlikely that it will traverse any systems that are not there
to make money for their owners by carrying my traffic. For that
reason, I have every right to expect that great care will be taken
from one end to the other.

This is generally true, and, in the general case, email works very well
in supporting these expectations.

Does that mean that I should be able to sue if someone doesn't take
great care?

  *IF* you and your recipient *BOTH*
  - are on the same ISP
  - and have business accounts with SLA (Service Level Agreement)
then the SLA contract would specify penalties that the ISP owes to you

  Of course, Joe Customer may not feel like shelling out $200/month for
the combination business phone line plus business ISP account with SLA.
He's more likely to have a residential line plus a $10/month dialup ISP
account.  Anyone who expects reliability when the other end is an
el-cheapo residential ISP account is dreaming.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;