Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-26 21:32:29
On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 06:06:57AM +0200, Andrzej Filip wrote:
Steven F Siirila wrote:

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 06:19:00PM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

DNSBLs can not force anyone to do anything and any authority given to
them is by consensual users of the DNSBL.

The ISP can consent, but what about the users of the ISP? In most
cases the users have no knowledge of the fact that a blacklist is
even in use.

That depends on the ISP.  We provide our users with the ability to control
how or if their mail is blocked/filtered.

Do you (or any significant ISP)  provide reports what have been blocked
and why for the users ?
[e.g.: sending host  IP address, MAIL FROM:, RCPT TO:, reject reason]
It requires making MTA reject as little as possible before "RCPT TO:".
IMHO it should be recommended for any ISP

Yes.  We currently provide that information for users via a web page.

Their widespread use indicates that many receivers of
email have confidence in at least some DNSBLs.

Very few end users know that blacklists are in use.

Again, that depends on the ISP.  DNSbls can be a very effective tool,
especially when users are aware of their availability and have control
over their use.

"Fair" use of DNSbl requires providing name of the DNSbl  in the error
message generated for sender.
Any would be recomendation of RBL use must contain requirement for
providing such info (IMHO).

I agree.  The sender must have the information necessary to either resolve
the problem themselves (preferred) or to forward to their mail administrator.