Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-28 22:50:38
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 01:18:51PM -0700, Larry Marks wrote

To a large extent each ISP and each MTA operator (in the organisational
sense) is analagous to a an independent liassez faire PSTN, and just to
make things richer than they are for the PSTN world, there are millions
of MTA operators instead of the small order hundreds of PSTN
organisations.

But I don't want a laissez faire PSTN. I want one with rules and order
so I can get my mail through.

  A few questions...
  1) Do I have the right to order you to use an el-cheapo laissez-faire
     ISP ?

  2) Do you have the right to order me to use a high-cost "guaranteed"
     business ISP so your email can get through to me?

  3) a) Is your answer to 1) above identical to your answer to 2)?
     b) If not, why not?

You continue, without any justification to deny what is obvious
to any man on the street. Internet mail is a telecommunications
service. ISP stocks are listed in the telecommunications sector. It
is not like the postal service. It's not like FedEx and DHL. These
are all end-to-end services. There are no switches and only a single
bilateral handoffs in the international case. By contrast, PSTN's
infrastructure is totally analagous to that of the ISP.

  What's next ?  Do you also want to nationalise AOL Instant Messanger ?
Businesses use that too.

I don't want end-to-end guarantees. I don't want special handling. But
I don't want people to interfere with my mail either, as long as
it doesn't violate the law and isn't spam. If it can't be delivered
because of some circumstance beyond control, then fine...

  If you want the reliability of a registered letter, send a registered
letter.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;