Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-29 01:33:37
Larry Marks wrote:

[...]
What I want is for my mail to get through to people who want and expect it. I don't engage in mass mailings. My mailings are almost never to more than five or six people, all of whom I know and am doing business with. There are lots of people in the same position as me who just want e-mail to be reliable and usable.

I do not appreciate half-assed spam suppression methods that make the system as a whole unreliable, particularly when better solutions are immediately possible.

I select my provider carefully, but that doesn't seem to help. There is no guarantee that any ISP I pick can get my mail through. Not even when only the big guys are involved. So I don't trust any of the ISPs and I don't trust e-mail. That is currently the only prudent way to go. I advise all my clients to do the same.

That is a sad picture for the ISP industry.

IMHO "good" practice" requires generating bounce message whenever you reject a message. You can make your MTA reject message in way which makes MTA sending you message responsible for generating the bounce message (e.g. rejecting the message in reply to "the final dot" after applying spamassassin) - it has been already implemented.

I have heard that some ISP are capable to send message to /dev/null with no notification to sender. Such practices make email unreliable.

Whenever you send a email message you should always get message delivered or info why it can not be delivered or info why some server refused to deliver your message.

BTW I would be thankful for good explanation which RFC recommendation are broken by redirecting "suspected spam" to /dev/null for quoting in messages to postmaster of such sites.
[ May be there is a time to create new category on www.rfc-ignorant.org ]

--
Andrzej [pl>en: Andrew] Adam Filip http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/