Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-28 14:39:27
From: Larry Marks <larry(_dot_)marks(_at_)barberry(_dot_)com>

I don't want end-to-end guarantees. I don't want special handling. But I
don't want people to interfere with my mail either, as long as it
doesn't violate the law and isn't spam. If it can't be delivered because
of some circumstance beyond control, then fine...

You demand merely that your wish that your mail be delivered override
the wishes of targets of your mail.  The targets of your mail have
contracts with their ISPs.  Your targets' ISPs are rejecting or accepting
your mail based on your targets' preferences.  If your targets choose
ISPs unwisely, they may not receive mail from you that they really
want, but that is not our problem.  It is a problem between your targets
and their ISPs.   You have no standing to interfere in their contract.

Note that saying you only want your mail delivered if it is not spam
is meaningless.  Human nature is such that only a very few spammers
admit that what they send is spam.  Everyone else, both spammer and
otherwise, prefers to define spam as that which we do not do.

For example, Ms. Olson of Roving.com does not believe that any of
the messages that her organization sends are spam.  She wants for her
mail exactly what you want for your mail.  The only people who can
reliably distinguish spam from other sorts of mail are mail targets
and their agents, including their ISPs.