Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-28 19:03:12
Vernon Schryver wrote:

From: Larry Marks <larry(_dot_)marks(_at_)barberry(_dot_)com>
I don't want end-to-end guarantees. I don't want special handling. But I don't want people to interfere with my mail either, as long as it doesn't violate the law and isn't spam. If it can't be delivered because of some circumstance beyond control, then fine...

You demand merely that your wish that your mail be delivered override
the wishes of targets of your mail.

No! That's not what I said and it's not what I want. RTFM.

What I want is for my mail to get through to people who want and expect it. I don't engage in mass mailings. My mailings are almost never to more than five or six people, all of whom I know and am doing business with. There are lots of people in the same position as me who just want e-mail to be reliable and usable.

I do not appreciate half-assed spam suppression methods that make the system as a whole unreliable, particularly when better solutions are immediately possible.

I select my provider carefully, but that doesn't seem to help. There is no guarantee that any ISP I pick can get my mail through. Not even when only the big guys are involved. So I don't trust any of the ISPs and I don't trust e-mail. That is currently the only prudent way to go. I advise all my clients to do the same.

That is a sad picture for the ISP industry.

 -LM