Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-28 19:59:01
From: Larry Marks <larry(_dot_)marks(_at_)barberry(_dot_)com>

You demand merely that your wish that your mail be delivered override
the wishes of targets of your mail.

No! That's not what I said and it's not what I want. RTFM.

What I want is for my mail to get through to people who want and expect
it. I don't engage in mass mailings. My mailings are almost never to
more than five or six people, all of whom I know and am doing business
with.

That's what all of us say except a few peculiar spammers who follow
Spamford's lead and brag about spam.  The rest of us, whether spammers
or not, all define spam first and foremost as that which we don't do.

      There are lots of people in the same position as me who just want
e-mail to be reliable and usable.

I do not appreciate half-assed spam suppression methods that make the
system as a whole unreliable, particularly when better solutions are
immediately possible.

Your complaint is not with spam suppression methods, but with the targets
of your mail who have choosen those spam suppression methods or chosen
ISPs using those methods and so chosen to not receive your mail.

If the targets of your mail want it, they need to inform their ISPs
or change ISPs.  However, they may choose to do neither for reasons
ranging from ignorance to prudence.  Without knowing the IP address
from which you send your mail, I can't guess why your mail is being
blocked.  It may be with cause, such as a spammer in your neighborhood.

If you are sending from 66.124.148.98, then according to
http://openrbl.org:8080/ip/66/124/148/98.htm
you may be blocked because you are running from a dynamically assigned
IP address.  (I do not agree with that blocking tactic.)

I select my provider carefully, but that doesn't seem to help. There is
no guarantee that any ISP I pick can get my mail through. Not even when
only the big guys are involved. So I don't trust any of the ISPs and I
don't trust e-mail. That is currently the only prudent way to go. I
advise all my clients to do the same.

That is a sad picture for the ISP industry.

Your vehimence about your problems continues to make me wonder if
you define "mass mailings" the way I do.  The rest of us who are
not associated with organizations with well earned reputations for
sending spam such as Verisign don't seem to have such problems.
I've certainly never had problems such as you seem to be having.