Re: [Asrg] Willfull and intentional misunderstandings

2003-05-06 20:02:06
Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com> wrote:
It's the desparate act of people who don't quite know what to do, but
sincerely want to do something, so they run about neatening things up
in the hope that at the very least it can't hurt. Well-intentioned,
but no substitute for the deployment of weapons of mass destruction.

  I'll bite: WHAT weapons of mass destruction?

  All of this bitching back and forth about proposals with small
effects on spam occurs SOLELY because there are no "weapons of mass
destruction" in relation to the spam problem.  So for the people
opposing the "Good Citizen's Brigade" approach, my suggestion is this:

  Either put up, or shut up.

  Come up with proposals which ARE "weapons of mass destruction", or
shut up, and stop opposing people who are trying to do something
positive.  Most proposals involve it's proponents doing work, and
don't require you to do anything.  So if the proposals really are as
bad as you say, stop opposing people, and let them fall into quagmires
of their own invention.

  But this knee-jerk opposition to anything other than Moses coming
down from Mount Sinai with the giftfrom God of the "10 commandments of
perfect methods to fight spam" is getting stale.  Get over it.

  Alan DeKok.