Re: [Asrg] C/R Framework

2003-05-15 09:11:58
At 05:05 PM 5/15/2003 +0100, Jon Kyme wrote:

> problem too. As I mentioned before, perhaps we should not store plain
> email
> addresses - but some form of checksum or something. Even though that is
> susceptible to dictionary attacks, the attacker must know what he is
> looking for. This will at least protect against people snooping at
> messages.

I don't think it's necc. to specify what steps an implementer needs to take
to protect/hide the data - just an recommendation that they should take
steps is probably enough. Maybe?

In order to different C/R systems to interoperate they must know whether a plain email address is used or a checksum - leaving this to implementors will kill interoperability. Perhaps this should be an optional feature of the protocol?