Re: [Asrg] C/R - What people say

2003-05-14 22:34:25
Vernon,

VS> I think that's an overstatement or beside the point.  While according
VS> to standards theory, Sender: headers may have nothing to do with
VS> whether the message is bulk, practice may differ.  I'd want to look
VS> at a few 1,000,000 private messages in a variety of locations and
VS> check the behavior of a bunch of MTAs and MUAs before guessing whether
VS> in practice "Sender" headers indicate "bulk."

a reasonable,empirical approach.  my assessment was based on knowing
that all sorts of different software sets the sender field, often quite
unecessarily.  on the other hand, there is no rule against setting it
unecessarily (that is, when it is wholly redundant with the From field)
and email users agents often do.

ok..very nice..so what do you propose for list detection?

VS> It's not Dave Crocker's fault that Sender headers do not necessarily
VS> indcate "bulk," and neither is it his responsibility to find a solution
VS> to your problem if they don't.  You could but don't absolutely need to
VS> thank him for pointing out a hole.

There are some explicit conventions involving mailing lists, though
conformance is extremely spotty.  As a simple example of headers that
are explicitly and exclusively used for mailing headers, folks might
want to look at the headers that are attached by the list mailer for
this very list...

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>